ELECTRICAL SAFETY AWARENESS IN OUR HOMES

Electricity is one aspect of technology that has come to stay. Believe it or not, Electricity enhances almost all of our daily activities thereby making all sectors of life easier. We can boldly say that we have come to love electricity so much that when it is not available we feel somewhat frustrated. Electricity makes our homes brighter, keeps us warm and entertained. What would we do without it? In as much as electricity has made our lives easier, we must not disregard all the risks it comes with.

Today, electricity is so common that we do not pay so much attention to all the safety tips and rules that guide the use of electricity in our homes. Nevertheless, we must be armed with these safety tips in order to teach our wards and loved ones better about electrical safety.

WHAT IS ELECTRICAL SAFETY?

Electrical safety are measures taken or put in place to prevent the harmful and dangerous effects of electricity such as fires, shocks, burns, falls and a lot more while using electricity at home or at a workplace.

Here are Safety tips to be aware of while using electricity in our homes.

AVOID OVERLOADING YOUR OUTLETS

A lot of people are guilty of overloading electrical outlets. Some others go as far as running connections from one extension cord to another mostly out of ignorance. Every electrical outlet is designed to hold or accommodate a certain amount of electricity. A lot of ugly damages can occur if this ‘certain amount’ is exceeded. A fire could start from plugging too many devices into your socket or any electrical outlet at once. Use an energy-saving power strip that can safely carry everything you wish to plug. Get a trained electrician to install one for you.

REPLACE OR REPAIR DAMAGED POWER CORDS

Once you detect an exposed wire or the melting away of the protective covering of wire in your home, do well to bring in an electrician to replace or repair it. Never overlook an exposed wire in your home especially if you have children around.

KEEP ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AWAY FROM WATER

Water does not conduct electricity. Are you shocked? Well, you shouldn’t be. Water doesn’t conduct electricity, rather the particles present in water such as iron, calcium, sodium, and so on are the actual conductors of electricity and once present in water can cause electric shock if brought in contact with electricity.

EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN TO PROTECT THEM FROM HAZARDS

Teach your kids the dangers of electricity and for the toddlers, who would want to touch everything they see, install tamper-resistant safety caps on all unused electrical outlets.

AVOID THE USE OF EXTENSION CORDS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN

Do not use extension cords, but if you must, do not let the cords crisscross the floors of your home as it may cause a fall or your toddler might put his or her hand in the outlets. Tidy up all loose cords and put them away to prevent your kids from playing the game of Tug of war with it.

References:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_safety_standards

By

Anita Alexa Njoku

Share this:

5 Replies to “ELECTRICAL SAFETY AWARENESS IN OUR HOMES”

  1. This is great. Home safety is key. Fire prevention and protection. Turn off all electrical appliances before leaving home. Don’t overload socket.

  2. Water is a poor conductor of electricity. Water conducts when it undergoes dissociation reaction by separing Oxygen from Hydrogen to negative and positive ions respectively by electrolysis.

  3. No single home can do without taking into consideration the hazards electricity can cause . So many homes are razed down for not adhering to these safety precautions.

    Our safety is paramount and must not be undermined.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *